Shravana Nakshatra in astrology is one of the Urdhvamukhi Nakshatras (or the Nakshatras, which have their mouths upwards). In these Nshatras, things related to palaces, coronations, boundary walls, and tall structures can be auspiciously begun and performed.
Symbol: Three Footprints
The symbol for Shravana Nakshatra is 3 footprints. This indicates that the baby is ready to enter a new world and survive in the new world. According to modern
medical science, most premature babies are born between 34 and 37 weeks.
Deity: Lord Vishnu
The deity of this Shravana Nakshatra is Vishnu. The meaning of the word Vishnu is ‘all-pervasive’. Vishnu is one of the Aadhithya. Vishnu is the preserver of the Hindu trinity. He is depicted to have a dark complexion, 4 arms, and reclining on the Shesha.
He is free from fetters and bondages. Lord Vishnu knows what goes in the hearts of people. He saves embryos. He has 2 worlds, the earth, and the sky.
|Range||280 – 293⁰20”|
|Yogathara||Altair or Alpha Aquilae|
|Latitude||29⁰ 18” 13”|
|Longitude||277⁰ 55” 06′|
|Right ascension||19h 50m 32.4s|
|Declination||+ 8⁰ 51” 18’|
Characteristics of Shravana Nakshatra in Astrology
- The yoni animal of the Shravana Nakshatra is the female monkey.
- The one thing known about monkeys from cartoons and Tarzan movies is that they swing from one branch to the other as a way of travelling.
- They swing from one branch to the other for travelling.
- Monkeys are extremely clever when it comes to stealing food and other things they can get their hands on.
- In India, some thugs train monkeys to steal wallets and purses from people.
- The Capuchin monkeys are extremely smart as they are able to make tools and use sign languages.
- They are also very much into hygiene and will clean each other for bugs, lice and other critters in their fur, which allows them to socialize.
- They enjoy living high on tree branches and prefer to be as high as possible.
- Like natives of Purva Ashada Nakshatra, the Shravana natives will shift from one job to another countless times in their life before they settle into something meaningful and long-lasting.
- Monkeys are able to leap from one branch to another, which tells us these natives will take big leaps in their lives in terms of relocation.
- They are extremely clever and are able to learn and adapt very quickly.
- They are very good at mimicry as monkeys are very apt at it.
- The symbol of this Nakshatra is three footsteps, ear, and trident.
- The symbol of the ear represents listening.
- Shravana natives must listen to everything carefully, or they can miss some of the most important information, advice, and wisdom in their life.
- The ear also shows the ability to listen to divine sounds beyond the scope of the normal five body senses.
- The deity of the Shravana Nakshatra is the Vamana avatar of Lord Vishnu and is associated with the planet Jupiter.
- Shravana is also considered to be the birth star of Saraswati, the Goddess of knowledge.
- Saraswati is the Goddess that blesses one with Vac siddhi, or the power of truth in one’s words.
- Vamana was born to mother Aditi to bring down the desire of Mahabali, the demon king, to possess the world.
- He was about to do a yagna that would let him conquer the world.
- Lord Vishnu, in the form of Vamana, a dwarf brahmin child, approached king Mahabali with a wooden umbrella and asked for 3 steps of land.
- His guru, Shukracharya, warned him that it was Vishnu in disguised as a dwarf brahmin.
- However, Mahabali said that he couldn’t deny the request of a brahmin.
- Shukracharya tried to stop him by blocking the water to come out of the kamandalu (water pot held in one’s hand) by blocking the pipe.
- Vamana poked a hole in the pipe using a straw made of sharply pointed kusha grass.
- Shukracharya injured his one eye and was blinded by this act.
- Eventually, water flowed, and it was sprinkled by Mahabali granting his request.
- Vamana immediately expanded into a giant, and with his first 2 steps, he covered the three worlds of Heaven, Earth and Patala Loka.
- Vamana asked Mahabali for a piece of land for his 3rd step.
- Mahabali realised the greatness of Vishnu and offered his own head as a place to place his 3rd step.
- Vishnu was pleased with Mahabali’s act and blessed him to be Indra in the next manvantara and granted him the wish to come back to see his people once in a year, which is the festival of Onam, celebrated in Kerala.
- Note the festival of Onam is celebrated on the day when Sun is in the Leo sign, and the Moon is transiting the Shravana Nakshatra.
- From the mythology, it can be seen that Shravana natives will secretly take over a high-ranking spot by throwing the individual off of their position, similar to what Vamana did to Mahabali.
- Shravana natives take leaps and bounds in far away or foreign places because Vamana grew so big that he conquered three different lokas.
- A president or prime minister with such qualities will actually fight for the people and the established government.
- If they are at their job or business, they will deal with three different project aspects of their work.
- Vamana took three steps; hence for Shravana natives, three steps like three steps to promotion, three attempts to pass an exam, moving to three different countries, states or cities in their lifetime are prominently seen.
- Shukracharya advised the king not to give the donation of 3 steps to Vamana, and when he tried to stop, he got his eye injured.
- This aspect shows that either the native’s mentor or spouse (Venus in astrology) will give advice several times but fail to react until it’s too late or when something has gone wrong.
- Shravana natives must listen to their spouse’s advice when it involves land, property, real estate, etc.
- Shravana is coherent with the Dhanishta Nakshatra in making a person a great vocalist.
- The tricky, sweet, and gentle vocal theme of Vamana makes Shravana natives natural magicians and hypnotists.
- A vocalist and a singer usually have the same effect on the listener; although Dhanishtha is more about instrumental skills, they fall in the same category.
Attributes of Shravana Nakshatra in Astrology
- Spread after 10’00” degree up to 23’20” in Capricorn (Makar).
- The Lord is Saturn (Shani). It is the birth star of Saraswati.
- From this is derived light-rays, lion, beasts, horse, etc.
- From Shravana Nakshatra, the art of hearing, education and audible education is derived.
- As the birth star of Saraswati, it signifies and bestows scholarship, educational proficiency, respect for the shastras, knowledge, etc.
- The eminent natives in education and knowledge, the ones who are listened to by others with respect, are influenced by this star. It also causes the disease of the urinatory channel.
Description of Shravana Nakshatra in Vedic Astrology Treatise
- According to Hora Sara: The native of Shravana Nakshatra will have knowledge of Vedas (or be proficient in pure knowledge), live in foreign countries, be wealthy and famous, have few sons, have many enemies, be troubled by several expenses, and be happy.
- According to Jataka Parijata: If a native is born in the star Shravana, he will have reverence for Brahmans and the Gods, be of the governing class, opulent and pious.
- According to Sage Narada: The native born in Shravana will beget an illustrious spouse. He will be learned in scriptures, an orator, wealthy, and author of poetry, an expert in sexual love, and munificent.
- According to Brihat Samhita: The native born under the asterism Shravana is learned, has a generous wife, and possesses/ wealth and fame.
Shravana Nakshatra Pada Description
Shravana Nakshatra 1st Pada:
- 1st Pada of Shravana Nakshatra is ruled by Aries Navamsa (Governed by Mars).
- The native born in the first pada of Shravana Nakshatra is aggressive, assertive, ambitious, disciplined, structured, organized, and desires to serve others.
- Those born in the first pada of Shravana Nakshatra are quarrelsome, suffer from the phantom tumour (gulma roga), endowed with few children, possess blood-shot eyes, suffer from a fit of anger, interested in women, commence many jobs at a time, suffer from hunger, conquerers of anger and bad intentions.
Shravana Nakshatra 2nd Pada:
- 2nd Pada of Shravana Nakshatra is ruled by Taurus Navamsa (Governed by Venus).
- The native born in the second pada of Shravana Nakshatra has a creative personality, possesses vocal talents, is a natural speaker, and has a soothing and sweet voice. He is creative at voicing opinions, getting points across in a sweet way, is diplomatic and skilled at making money.
- Those born in the second pada of Shravana Nakshatra are enjoyers of life, sexy, served by many servants, long-lived, and good technicians. They are intelligent, soft-spoken, endowed with good qualities, beget sons, are happy, handsome, and poets.
Shravana Nakshatra 3rd Pada:
- 3rd Pada of Shravana Nakshatra is ruled by Gemini Navamsa (Governed by Mercury).
- The native born in the third pada of Shravana Nakshatra will be curious, have a desire to learn, absorb information, seek and learn practical information, possess communicative talents, share information, enjoy writing, and have attractive speech.
- Those born in the third pada of Shravana Nakshatra are quarrelsome, great givers, good at drawing pictures, intelligent, accompanied by relatives, long-lived, and endowed with many children. They help others and are religious.
Shravana Nakshatra 4th Pada:
- 4th Pada of Shravana Nakshatra is ruled by Cancer Navamsa (Governed by Moon).
- The native born in the fourth pada of Shravana Nakshatra are involved in nourishing others, caring about others’ needs, listening and helping others, being involved in public affairs, helping others who have emotional issues, and fixing other’s problems.
- Those born in the fourth pada of Shravana Nakshatra are religious, experts in transacting animals, pure, brave, endowed with qualities, enjoyers, respected by kings, and possess control over their senses. Their relatives respect them.
Sun’s Ingress (Jan 24th – Feb 5th) for Shravana Nakshatra
- The Sun enters Shravan Nakshatra on January 24th and remains there till February 5th. If you are born during this period, your Sun is in Shravan Nakshatra.
- Ganesh Jayanthi occurs during this period. Ganesha has large ears, and Shravana Nakshatra indicates the ability to hear.
- On Ganesh Jayanti, the Moon would be in Purva Bhadrapada Nakshatra, which is owned by Jupiter.
- Lord Ganesha was born when the Sun was in Shravan Nakshatra, and the Moon was in Poorva Bhadrapada Nakshatra. Therefore, Lord Ganesha combines knowledge (Jupiter) and creativity (Moon).
Tree of Shravana: Arka
- The tree for Shravana Nakshatra is Arka, Mandar or Calotropis Gigantea.
- This tree’s flowers are offered to Lord Ganapati, and leaves are offered to Lord Hanuman.
- It has a mosquito controlling property.
- The latex of this plant is used as an arrow poison.
Applications of Arka
- The latex of the Mandar plant is used in Vamana and Virechana.
- It is effective in skin diseases.
- It is used in abdominal tumours.
- The flower is effective in cough and asthma.
- It is anti-toxic and useful in bleeding disorders.
Astronomical Information of Shravana Nakshatra
- Most of the astronomers agree that the Yogatara of Shravan is Altair or Alpha Aquilae. Interestingly Altair is not in the range of Shravana.
- Additionally, its ecliptic latitude is also very high. However, the apparent magnitude or visibility of Altair is very good.
- It is the 12th brightest star in the night sky.
- It is currently in the G-cloud, which accumulates gas and dust.
- Altair moves across the sky again, distant star’s background star more quickly than most stars.
- It will displace itself by a degree only in 5000 years. Even its apparent magnitude or brightness varies unusually. It also rotates rapidly. It takes around 10 hours to spin once on its axis.
- It is a white star and considered hotter than the average star.
Shravana Nakshatra Compatibility in Astrology
Sign (Rashi) compatibility of Shravana Nakshatra Bride or Groom
Gemini, Virgo, Aquarius, Pisces
Compatibility Factors of Ashwini Nakshatra
- Nadi: Aanthya or last.
- Gana (Nature): Dev or God.
- Yoni (Animal Symbol): Vanara or Monkey.
- Result of wearing new clothes on Shravana Nakshatra: Illness of Eyes.
- Result of first menses on Shravana Nakshatra: Surrounded by children and grandchildren, enjoys different types of pleasures, respected, committed, wealthy and updates as per the need.
- Result of performing shraddha on Shravana Nakshatra: Better next birth.
- Beneficial activities on Shravana: Learning to ride animals and vehicles, travelling, plantation of trees and crop, buying couch or bed, buying a new vehicle, selling, monetary investment, ploughing, Vaman, Virechan, Shiramokshan and entering a new property.
- Beneficial savskara or ceremonies on Shravana: Naming, piercing, first solid feeding to baby, first shave of a baby, introducing letters to a baby, haircut, intercourse for progeny, start learning a new subject, threading ceremony, Anugraha or Deeksha.
Remedies of Shravana Nakshatra
- The remedy for Shravana natives is to always listen.
- Listen before making any judgements, giving replies or making a decision.
- They will only attract situations and opportunities where if they miss listening, they will miss the whole boat.
- The other remedy is to walk, especially barefoot, on grass. Walking on grass will make these natives’ instinctive feelings stronger, along with their intelligence.
- Such natives must donate to a place that has huge lands, where they take care of rescued animals.
- One should especially donate to 3 different animal rescue organizations.
- If one has 30 dollars to spend, pay 10 dollars to 3 different organizations.
|Feed||Roots like potato, lotus and carrot|
|Vratham||Sathyanarayan Vratha, Ananth Chathurdhashi Vratha|
|Vedic Sooktham||Vishnu Sooktham, Narayan Sooktham|
Quality of Shravana Nakshatra
- Shravana is a Chara Nakshatra, which means when something requires movement, this Nakshatra would work best like moving from one house to the other, purchasing land, sending something out for delivery, shifting office, arranging or buying furniture in your home.
Caste of Shravana Nakshatra
- Shravana being an outcaste Nakshatra, is perhaps the calmest and quietest of all the outcaste Nakshatras.
- They mostly have to go far away from their birthplace, where language, culture, religion and food are completely different.
- They will feel like they are an outcaste in the place or region where they live.
- Shravana natives have an outcaste look on their life path as they strongly incline towards music, psychology, and want to understand and relate to the Earth.
- They are not engineers and IT professionals. They are with unwashed hair, long beard and hippy type geologist and astronomers, in short, different than the usual crowd.
Sound of Shravana Nakshatra
- Ju- pada 1, Jay- pada 2, Jo- pada 3, Gha- pada 4 while in some text I have found Khee- pada 1, Khoo- pada 2, Khey- pada 3, Kho- pada 4.
- Sound has an extremely important role to play with Nakshatra.
- Everything we do, say, buy, wear, drive has a name attached to it known as brand.
- One must look at their chart with an accurate time of birth and see where the Nakshatra of Shravana is in their chart, which means where is the sign of Capricorn.
- If someone is with a Capricorn ascendant, then the 1st house would be Capricorn; when using such brand or name that starts with such sounds would be beneficial for fame, health, vitality and overall success occurs for the individual.
Summary of Shravana Nakshatra in Vedic Astrology
|Deity||Govinda (the preserver of the universe)|
|Rulership||Jugglers, the ever-active, the efficient, the energetic, the righteous, devotees of Lord Vishnu and the truthful.|
|Moon in Shravana||The native is prosperous and fortunate, versed in the Vedas, has a liberal-minded wife, is wealthy and well known.|
|Purusharth||Artha or finance|
|Work Profile||Work away from home|
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Special about Shravana Nakshatra?
Shravana is a Chara Nakshatra, which means when something requires movement, this Nakshatra would work best like moving from one house to the other, purchasing land, sending something out for delivery, shifting office, arranging or buying furniture in your home.
Which Rashi is Shravana Nakshatra?
Who is the Lord of Shravana Nakshatra?
Who is the Deity of Shravana Nakshatra?
What is the Symbol of Shravana Nakshatra?
Three foot steps, Ear, Trident
What is the Gana of Shravana Nakshatra?
What is the Quality of Shravana Nakshatra?
What is the Caste of Shravana Nakshatra?
What is the Animal of Shravana Nakshatra?
What is the Bird of Shravana Nakshatra?
What is the Tree of Shravana Nakshatra?
What are the Initials of Shravana Nakshatra?
Ju, Jay, Jo, Gha OR Khee, Khoo, Khey, Kho
To read this article in Hindi, visit : Shravana Nakshatra in Astrology in Hindi.
Get accurate Life Predictions through a Detailed Life Interpretation Astrology Report at just ₹99: Click Here.
Get into the zone of virtual reality from the comfort of your home and experience the best gaming, live concerts, films and more! Buy All-In-One Virtual Reality Headset. Click here.
Get your Vedic horoscope along with predictions and calculations.
Vedic astrology is an ancient science that has its roots in India. It is based on the principle that there is a relationship between the positions of the planets and events that occur on Earth. This system of astrology can be used to make predictions about a person’s future, based on their birth chart. If you are interested in exploring the richness and wisdom of this ancient science, be sure to get your Vedic horoscope by emailing your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You need to share your date of birth, place of birth, time of birth, and full name. We will prepare your Vedic astrology horoscope and share it with you. If you feel like paying then you can make the payment. Please note that payments are voluntary as we shall use your payment funds for feeding stray animals. Our animal welfare team shall share the photos and videos of the stray animals who were able to get their meal because of you. Read more about Vidhya Mitra Divine Astrology.
Divyanshu Singh Chouhan is a tech entrepreneur and an astrologer. He is also known for his knowledge and expertise in the field of Vedic astrology and is known for his generous patronage of the gods. One day, Divyanshu decided to compose a treatise on astrology, which he titled Vidhya Mitra. In this work, he explained in detail the various aspects of 25,000-year-old Vedic astrology and its applications in the simplest way so even a fifth-grader can understand the concepts of Astronomy and Astrology.